Youth and Adult Sports Volunteer Coach
A Volunteer Coach holds practices to teach a GBRC sports team the skills involved in a particular sport. The coach facilitates communication with players and/or their family on practice times, game times and other logistical information. The coach represents the team and coaches at games. The GBRC values the physical skills needed to play the game but also the development of sportsmanship and character.
Must be capable of supervision of a team of athletes. Must not have been convicted of a sex crime, drug/ alcohol felonies or violent felonies. Must be knowledgeable about the sport and able to coach it in a positive productive manner. All GBRC coaches are required to attend a National Youth Sports Coaches Association (NYSCA) training, a coaches orientation prior to the season and submit information for a criminal background check. Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
Essential Job Functions:
- Receive a roster and dates from GBRC Staff.
- Coordinate with Sports Supervisor to devise a practice schedule and communicate that schedule to players or their families.
- Hold regular practices to develop skills and teamwork.
- Hold a pre-season parents meeting.
- Coach the team during games. Represent the team with officials, GBRC staff and other teams honoring NYSCA code of ethics.
- Ensure that facilities and equipment are properly maintained and assure proper
- order before, during and after every practice/game. Coaches should notify Sports
- Supervisor if there are maintenance issues on fields or courts.
- Make sure all minors have been picked up by their parents or have left safely before coach leaves the facility.
- Responsible for canceling practices and informing all participants of make-up dates and times regarding the inclement weather.
Essential Job Requirements:
High School diploma preferred. Some knowledge of the sport is preferred. Should complete NYSCA training prior to coaching
Some knowledge of the appropriate sport/activity
Need to have the ability to see, move about. Must posses an audible voice for communication and ability to lift up sports equipment as applicable to the sport coached.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.